ESA offers a refresher course for individuals needing to upgrade and refresh their Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) skills.
The EMR Refresher Course at ESA is a 4 day course (32 hours).
Questions? Want to enrol? Contact us today.
EMR Refresher Programs
Please note, until further notice, ESA is offering the theory portion of the program using Zoom Meeting, an online classroom with live lectures format. Practical training will be provided at ESA in small student groups that adhere to the requirements and guidelines of COVID-19 protocols.
EMR Refresher Programs- 2021
EMR Ref 2021-02 (Program Code): February 20, 21, 27 & 28, 2021 (Saturdays & Sundays)
- February 20 & 21, 2021 - theory online through ZOOM (not at ESA) - 0900hrs to 1600 hrs
- February 27 & 28, 2021- practical training and final exam at ESA - 0800hrs - 1700 hrs
- Application Deadline: Friday, January 29, 2021
EMR Ref 2021-08 (Program Code): August 7, 8, 14 & 15, 2021 (Saturdays & Sundays)
- August 7 & 8, 2021 - theory online through ZOOM (not at ESA) - 0900hrs to 1600 hrs
- August 14 & 15, 2021- practical training and final exam at ESA - 0800hrs - 1700 hrs
- Application Deadline: Friday, July 16, 2021
Successful students will receive a Certificate of Completion for the EMR Refresher Course from ESA. The student must attend all 32 hours of instruction in order to receive the certificate and must successfully complete all three segments of the course (written exam, skill stations and scenarios).
An application for an EMR Refresher Course at ESA must include the following:
- Proof of age (minimum 18 years).
Plus one of the following:
- EMR ACP Practice Permit *
- EMR Certificate or Transcript **
- Approval from the ESA Registrar
*Current within 3 years preceding the first day of the EMR Refresher.
**Graduation date within 3 years preceding the first day of the EMR Refresher.
If you are an EMR graduate with a Certificate/ Transcript or ACP Practice Permit dated more than 3 years preceding the EMR Refresher, you can take an EMR Refresher Course to refresh your knowledge and skills, however, you will not receive an EMR Refresher Certificate upon completion unless you comply with the above prerequisites.
It is the responsibility of an applicant to ensure an application submitted to ESA is complete and meets all prerequisites.
Acceptance will be confirmed upon receipt of a complete application and full payment of fees. Students will be accepted for the course on a first come, first served basis.
Submit your completed application and payment by:
E-mail to info@ESAcanada.com
Fax to 780-449-4787, or
Mail, courier or deliver it in person to:
Emergency Services Academy Ltd.
2nd Floor, 161 Broadway Boulevard
Sherwood Park AB T8H 2A8
Questions? Call 780-416-8822 or e-mail info@ESAcanada.com.
Withdrawals and Refunds
- If an applicant withdraws from an EMR Refresher Program after the application deadline date, no refund is available.
2020 ESA Fees for the EMR Refresher Course
- Administration Fee (non-refundable): $125.00
- Course Materials Fee: $250.00
- Tuition Fees: $500.00
- Total EMR Refresher Fees (Including GST): $875.00
The EMR Refresher Fees are subject to change. Notice of any changes will be listed on this website. Fees can be confirmed by contacting ESA by phone or email.
Total fees must be paid at time of application.
Payment of Fees: All course fees are payable to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. Payments may be made by cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Debit Card. Cash payments must be for the correct amount as ESA does not keep any cash onsite.
Funds may be transferred to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. by INTERAC e-Transfer using the ESA email address: e-Transfer@ESAcanada.com
Withdrawals and Refunds
- The Administration Fee is non-refundable.
- The Course Materials Fee is non-refundable once materials have been accessed by the student.
- All fees are non-refundable as of the Application Deadline.
The schedule for the EMR Refresher includes 4 days of theory review, scenarios and skill practice.
Google Classroom is an integral part of the course. It includes a prior learning assessment and videos of a variety of skill stations and scenarios. Students are responsible for completing all of the pre-study sections on google classroom.
Students have access to Google Classroom before, during and following the EMR Refresher Course.
The didactic portion of the course may include the following topics:
- Anatomy, physiology and pathophysiology
- Airway management
- Respiratory emergencies
- Cardiovascular and associated emergencies
- Chest trauma
- Abdominal trauma and emergencies
- Head injuries
- The unconscious patient
- Diabetic emergencies
- Pediatric emergencies
The Instructor may substitute lecture topics based on student feedback.
EMR Refresher students must achieve a minimum grade of 80% on each examination (written exam, skill stations and scenarios) in order to be successful. The examinations will include content from the full EMR Program.
Rewrites are not available for the EMR Refresher Course.