ESA offers an Ice Rescue Course teaching practical rescue techniques for effective surface ice rescues.
The Ice Rescue Course is designed to introduce fire and rescue personnel to all of the basic elements of ice and ice rescue techniques.
The student will learn the dynamics of ice, and how these apply to the ice rescue discipline. The didactic portion will also cover how cold water situations effect the human body and how we can apply that to rescue.
Questions? Want to enrol? Contact us today.
Ice Rescue 2023
Ice Rescue 2023-03 - Saturday, March 11, 2023 - 9:00am - 5:00 pm
- Application Deadline - Monday, March 6, 2023
Theory, examination and certification for the ESA Ice Rescue Course are provided.
Ice Rescue is not a NFPA certified course, but it meets the requirements of NFPA 1670, Chapter 7, Water, 7-3.7 Ice.
Students need a minimum mark of 80% to successfully complete the ESA Ice Rescue Course. They are required to attend the full 8 hours of class.
An ESA Ice Rescue Certificate is awarded to students who attend the complete day of classes and successfully complete the course.
An application for an ESA Ice Rescue Course must include the following:
- Proof of age (minimum 18 years).
It is the responsibility of an applicant to ensure an application submitted to ESA is complete and meets all prerequisites. Acceptance will be confirmed upon receipt of a complete application and full payment of fees.
Submit your completed application and payment by:
E-mail to info@ESAcanada.com
Fax to 780-449-4787, or
Mail, courier or deliver it in person to:
Emergency Services Academy Ltd.
2nd Floor, 161 Broadway Boulevard
Sherwood Park AB T8H 2A8
Questions? Call 780-416-8822 or e-mail info@ESAcanada.com.
Withdrawals and Refunds
- If an applicant withdraws from an Ice Rescue Course before the first day of classes, the Application Fee is non-refundable.
- ESA must receive written notice of withdrawal at least 72 hours in advance of the course start to process a refund of other fees.
- For example, if an applicant withdraws from an Ice Rescue Course starting at 9 AM on a Sunday, an email to firstname.lastname@example.org dated before 9 AM the preceding Thursday would be acceptable.
- There is no refund available for the Ice Rescue Course at ESA 72 hours in advance of the course and/or after the course has commenced.
2023 Fees for the Ice Rescue Course
- Administration Fee (non-refundable): $50.00
- Course Materials: $175.00
- Tuition Fees: $250.00
- Total fees for the Ice Rescue Course are $475.00
Fees include GST.
Total fees must be paid with the application.
ESA fees are subject to review and will be updated by November 1 of each calendar year.
ESA Fees are subject to change. Notice of any changes will be listed on this website. Fees can be confirmed by contacting ESA by phone or email.
All equipment required for an ESA Ice Rescue Course is provided by ESA.
Payment of Fees: All course fees are payable to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. Payments may be made by cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Debit Card. Cash payments must be for the correct amount as ESA does not keep any cash onsite.
Funds may be transferred to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. by INTERAC e-Transfer using the ESA email address: e-transfers@ESAcanada.com
ESA Refund Policy for the Ice Rescue Course
- The Administration Fee is non-refundable.
- All fees are non-refundable as of the Application Deadline.
International Students: ESA is not able to accept international students at this time.
The Ice Rescue Course is presented as an 8 hour, hands-on one day weekend course. The didactic portion of the course (3 hours) is taught in the morning in an ESA classroom. Practical portion (5 hours) follows in the afternoon on ice at an open water site.
- Ice formations and hazards
- Ice strength evaluation
- Rescuer and victim response to acute hypothermia
- Cold water near drowning
- Ice rescue equipment and technique
- Ice rescue operational plans
This course is an excellent addition to a fire or rescue resume. Ice rescue is on the application checklist for many fire departments.