ESA offers a refresher course for individuals needing to upgrade and refresh their PCP skills.
Questions? Want to enrol? Contact us today.
PCP Refresher Course - 2022
Program Code - PCP Ref 2022-09 - September 1, 2022 to December 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: Monday, August 29, 2022
- Online Orientation through ZOOM: Thursday, September 1, 2022 at 5:00 pm
- Online Study - 13 weeks of online study with program materials provided September 1, 2022. Schedule of assignments and weekly review sessions will be provided September 1, 2022. Online study to be completed by December 4, 2022.
- Review and practical training: begins December 5, 2022
- December 5 to 9, 2022 practical training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ESA.
- December 12 to 16, 2022 practical training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ESA . Final examinations on December 16, 2022.
PCP Refresher Course - 2023
Program Code - PCP Ref 2023-10 - October 2, 2023 to January 19, 2024
- Application Deadline: Wednesday, September 27, 2023
- Online Orientation through ZOOM: Monday, October 2, 2023 at 5:00 pm
- Online Study: - 14 weeks of online study with program materials provided October 2, 2023. Schedule of assignments and weekly review sessions will be provided October 2, 2023. Online study to be completed by January 7, 2023.
- Review and practical training: begins January 8, 2024
- January 8 to 12, 2024 practical training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ESA.
- January 15 to 19, 2024 practical training from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at ESA . Final examinations on January 19, 2024.
Successful students will receive an ESA Certificate of Completion for the PCP Refresher Course.
An application for a PCP Refresher Course at ESA must include the following:
- Proof of age (minimum 18 years).
Plus one of the following:
- PCP Alberta College of Paramedics Practice Permit*
- PCP Certificate or Transcript**
- Approval from the ESA Registrar
*Current within 3 years preceding the first day of the PCP Refresher.
**Graduation date within 3 years preceding the first day of the PCP Refresher. Program must be Alberta College of Paramedics Approved or accredited by Accreditation Canada (formerly CMA).
If you are a PCP graduate with a Certificate/ Transcript or Alberta COllege of Paramedics Practice Permit dated more than 3 years preceding the PCP Refresher, you can take a PCP Refresher to refresh your knowledge and skills, however, you will not receive a PCP Refresher Certificate upon completion unless you comply with one of the above prerequisites.
It is the responsibility of an applicant to ensure an application submitted to ESA is complete and meets all prerequisites. Acceptance will be confirmed upon receipt of a complete application and full payment of fees.
Submit your completed application and payment by:
E-mail to info@ESAcanada.com
Fax to 780-449-4787, or
Mail, courier or deliver it in person to:
Emergency Services Academy Ltd.
2nd Floor, 161 Broadway Boulevard
Sherwood Park AB T8H 2A8
Questions? Call 780-416-8822 or e-mail info@ESAcanada.com.
2022 Fees for the PCP Refresher Course
- Administration Fee: $125.00
- Course Materials: $725.00
- Tuition Fees: $1,550.00
- Total PCP Refresher Course fees (including GST): $2,400.00
ESA fees are subject to review and will be updated by October 1 of each calendar year.
Total fees must be paid at the time of application.
ESA Fees are subject to change. Notice of any changes will be listed on this website. Fees can be confirmed by contacting ESA by phone or email.
Payment of Fees: All course fees are payable to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. Payments may be made by cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Debit Card. Cash payments must be for the correct amount as ESA does not keep any cash onsite.
Funds may be transferred to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. by INTERAC e-Transfer using the ESA email address: e-Transfers@ESAcanada.com. Please send an email to e-Transfers@ESAcanada.com advising of the response to your security question.
ESA Refund Policy for the PCP Refresher Course
- If an applicant withdraws from an PCP Refresher Course before the first day of classes, the Application Fee is non-refundable.
- ESA must receive written notice of withdrawal at least 72 hours in advance of the course start to process a refund of other fees. If a General Holiday preceeds the start date, 96 hours' notice is needed.
- There is no refund available for the PCP Refresher Course at ESA after the withdrawal deadline/or after the course has commenced.
The PCP Refresher Program consists of 13 weeks of self-directed online study with weekly review sessions followed by 2 weeks of review and practical training at ESA.
The following competencies are covered during the course:
- Primary Assessment
- Secondary Assessment and Vital Signs
- Secondary Survey and Vital Signs
- Medication Administration
- Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Cardiovascular Cases
- ECG Monitoring
- Respiratory Cases
- Head Injuries
- Unconscious Patient
- Diabetic and Endocrine Emergencies
- Head Injury Cases
- Diabetic and Endocrine Patient
- Unconscious/Decreased LOC Patient Cases
PCP Refresher students must achieve a minimum grade of 80% on each examination (written exam, skill stations and scenarios) in order to be successful.
Rewrites are not available for the PCP Refresher Course.