ESA offers a refresher course for individuals needing to upgrade and refresh their PCP skills.
Questions? Want to enrol? Contact us today.
PCP Refresher Course - 2020
PCP Ref 2020-09 - August 31, 2020 through December 18, 2020
- Application Deadline: Friday, August 28, 2020
- Online Study - 14 weeks of online study with materials available August 31, 2020. Schedule of assignments will be provided August 31, 2020. Online study to be completed by December 6, 2020.
- Review and practical training: begins December 7, 2020
- December 7 to 11, 2020 online through ZOOM from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm (not at ESA)
- December 14 to 18, 2020 practical training from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm at ESA . Final examinations on December 18, 2020.
Successful students will receive an ESA Certificate of Completion for the PCP Refresher Course.
An application for an PCP Refresher Course at ESA must include the following:
- Proof of age (minimum 18 years).
Plus one of the following:
- EMT/PCP ACP Practice Permit*
- EMT/PCP Certificate or Transcript**
- Approval from the ESA Registrar
*Current within 3 years preceding the first day of the PCP Refresher.
**Graduation date within 3 years preceding the first day of the PCP Refresher. Program must be ACP Approved or accredited by Accreditation Canada (formerly CMA).
If you are an EMT/PCP graduate with a Certificate/ Transcript or ACP Practice Permit dated more than 3 years preceding the PCP Refresher, you can take an PCP Refresher to refresh your knowledge and skills, however, you will not receive an PCP Refresher Certificate upon completion unless you comply with one of the above prerequisites.
It is the responsibility of an applicant to ensure an application submitted to ESA is complete and meets all prerequisites. Acceptance will be confirmed upon receipt of a complete application and full payment of fees.
Submit your completed application and payment by:
E-mail to info@ESAcanada.com
Fax to 780-449-4787, or
Mail, courier or deliver it in person to:
Emergency Services Academy Ltd.
2nd Floor, 161 Broadway Boulevard
Sherwood Park AB T8H 2A8
Questions? Call 780-416-8822 or e-mail info@ESAcanada.com.
Fees for the 2020 PCP Refresher Course
- Administration Fee: $125.00
- Course Materials: $925.00
- Tuition Fees: $1,250.00
- Total PCP Refresher Course fees (including GST): $2,300.00
Total fees must be paid at the time of application.
ESA Fees are subject to change. Notice of any changes will be listed on this website. Fees can be confirmed by contacting ESA by phone or email.
Payment of Fees: All course fees are payable to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. Payments may be made by cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard, Amex and Debit Card. Cash payments must be for the correct amount as ESA does not keep any cash onsite.
Funds may be transferred to Emergency Services Academy Ltd. by INTERAC e-Transfer using the ESA email address: e-Transfers@ESAcanada.com. Please send an email to e-Transfers@ESAcanada.com advising of the response to your security question.
ESA Refund Policy for the PCP Refresher Course
- If an applicant withdraws from an PCP Refresher Course before the first day of classes, the Application Fee is non-refundable.
- ESA must receive written notice of withdrawal at least 72 hours in advance of the course start to process a refund of other fees. If a General Holiday preceeds the start date, 96 hours' notice is needed.
- There is no refund available for the PCP Refresher Course at ESA after the withdrawal deadline/or after the course has commenced.
The PCP Refresher Program consists of 14 weeks of self-directed online study, followed by 2 weeks of review and practical training at ESA.
The following competencies are covered during the course:
- Primary Assessment
- Secondary Assessment and Vital Signs
- Secondary Survey and Vital Signs
- Medication Administration
- Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Cardiovascular Cases
- ECG Monitoring
- Respiratory Cases
- Head Injuries
- Unconscious Patient
- Diabetic and Endocrine Emergencies
- Head Injury Cases
- Diabetic and Endocrine Patient
- Unconscious/Decreased LOC Patient Cases
PCP Refresher students must achieve a minimum grade of 80% on each examination (written exam, skill stations and scenarios) in order to be successful.
Rewrites are not available for the PCP Refresher Course.